Friday, August 16, 2013

A Dream of A Sanctuary and Votes Needed!

What prompted me to rush to publish my blog was this: I saw an article by The Huffington Post come through over facebook. It's about a contest, where you vote for the best painting by a chimpanzee who is living in a sanctuary. 


Chimpanzee Artists Are Competing For Your Vote now

Adorable, right? And SUCH a good cause! You can vote directly here if you like.

I was a little biased in my vote, but I'll explain why. I of course was very curious about all these sanctuaries, the one Leah is at was not participating. I clicked on the link for Save The Chimps, and have been in AWE ever since. Can you believe this place! While sanctuaries are still necessary, this is how all sanctuaries should strive to be! They are not in cages, but in family groups on three acres islands! My god, how I wish Leah could be in a place like that. I'm very thankful for the sanctuary she is in, mind you, but to be outdoors, with trees and live as much like a chimp? So much better. 

And how handsome is that Cheetah? He very much reminds of  Izzy in looks and manner. What a sweet guy. 

 By the way, if you're wondering if chimps do art "on purpose," I can say from my experience, I think they do. I think they had to have seen my Granny painting at least a few times. 

The sign for pretty was one all the chimps knew, and they used it often. Butterflies were pretty according to them, puppies, kittens, fresh mowed grass, and the humans they were connected to. 

 I once gave the boys paper and finger paints and they loved it. Sure, some of it was put in the mouth, but just initially for them to test what it was. They concentrated very hard and seemed to mull over what colors they wanted to pick. These beings have great capacity for artistic expression. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment